The following crime did happen. We would like to remind our readers that crime on and near college campuses are very real. It is in the best interest of students to become educated about being safe, and staying safe.
On Friday morning, September 6, 2013, at approximately 2:45 am, a female victim (not a student) was sexually assaulted inside an apartment in the area of King and Society Streets, Charleston, SC. The suspect is alleged to be a White Male, approximately 25 years of age, 5’8″ with a medium build, short brown hair, pointy nose.
Information and Tips:
The Department of Public Safety would like to make the campus community aware of the following statistics which were published on the blog, and site like RAINN, Campus Safety Magazine
- In the United States someone is sexually assaulted every two minutes.
- At least 1 in 4 college female will experience a completed and/or attempted sexual assault during their college career
- At least 50% of college student sexual assaults are associated with alcohol use.
- 43% of sexual victimization incidents involve alcohol consumption by victims.
- 69% of sexual victimization incidents involve alcohol consumption by the perpetrator.
- Victims were on a date with the perpetrator in 12.8% of completed rapes and 35% of attempted sexual assault.
- 90% of acquaintance sexual assaults involve alcohol.
80% of Sexual Assaults are under the age of 30.
54% of all Sexual Assaults are Never Reported.
At least 80% of all sexual assaults are committed by an acquaintance of the victim
We have written several articles on college safety and you can read them here.
- 10 Back-to-School Safety Tips for College Females
- 20 Ways to Stay Safe on a College Campus
- Staying Safe during your College Experience
- Walk Safely through your College Education
- Reducing Sexual Assault on College Campuses