Going off to college can be a fun and exciting time for many young adults. However, this is not the time to throw common sense, and caution to the wind. There are still a few people on and off campus who are up to no good. We have compiled this list of safety tips for you!
Campus safety tips: While walking around on campus
- Survey the campus after dark to see that buildings, walkways, quadrangles and parking lots are adequately secured, lighted and patrolled.
- Avoid walking alone if possible.
- Walk with an air of confidence and stay alert.
- Walk in well lighted areas.
- Keep your hand free, not overloaded.
- Have your keys ready, we recommend having a key ring self-defense product.
- Avoid Texting and walking, and use a blue-tooth when on your cell phone
- If you are being followed: cross the street, scream, run to an occupied residence or store, or flag down a car.
- If your college offers a RAD program…take it every semester.
At dorm rooms
- Doors and windows to your residence hall should be equipped with quality locks.
- Room doors should have peepholes in the door and deadbolts locks.
- Do not loan out your key.
- Never compromise your safety for a roommate or friend who wants the door left unlocked.
- Replace locks when a key is lost or stolen.
- Use caution admitting strangers.
- Have good lighting around entrances.
- If you are a woman and live alone or with other women, use only your first initials
- on your mailbox and, when possible, in phone directories.
- Report suspicious activity to campus police—or to the police if you live off campus.
- consider purchasing a room door alarm
While in your car
- Keep windows up and doors locked.
- Be sure someone knows where you are going and when you should be back
- Park in well-lighted areas and travel on populated, well-lighted streets.
- Never pick up hitchhikers.
- If you have car trouble, signal for help by raising the hood or tying a white handkerchief to the door handle.
- It is wise to have a car Emergency kit
PepperEyes Self-Defense, Safety and Security Store is dedicated to providing you with the best and most affordable self-defense products, survival and safety products on the market to meet the security needs of you, your family members or your business, by assisting anyone who is unwilling to become a victim of crime. If you want to take personal responsibility for protection, home security, business security, purchase our high quality discount self-defense products. Survival kits and arm yourself with the knowledge about self-defense and security products and information of the best way to stay secure in an ever-increasing violent world. In today’s society, being equipped mentally and physically is no longer an option.