Cyber crime such as hacking is on the rise…and it’s up to you to protect yourself! As you all know, once a week or so I like to share tips to keep your life home, business or body safe. PepperEyes.com is about offering the best life safety solutions in an every changing world. Today I’m writing about cyber phishing ..again. The reason is simple I continuously get bait e-mail that try to phish our corporate e-mails. It’s is because some employees or family members fall for these old tricks that allow corporate, financial, government, or home computers to get phished or hacked. Over the holidays I had someone who became a victims of ransomware and she said she had a virus checker and all. My analogy to this is that you can have the best security system to keep burglars out of your house, bank or business, but if you open the door and let them in, then your security system is useless to stop the criminal.
So cyber criminals, try to avoid all of your software security solutions buy using the flawed human factor. See all a criminal need to do is drop a few virus loaded flash drive around a business, or use a technique called spear phishing. All it takes is one curious employee to take the flash drive and plug it into a corporate computer to see what is on it. In the case of spear phishing, the user gets what looks like a realistic e-mail from a real person or company, but contains a malware link, or is used to obtain personal information. In the case of the flash drive method, one of the files or pictures can easily install a malware that can do damage to their computer, and every computer or server that user has access.
The favorite cyber flavor of the month, are realistic e-mail from companies you may do business with alerting you to a problem with your account.
Take a look at this email.
Looks legitimate. It has a realistic logo to make it look official SO how do I know it’s not real.
If I put my mouse of the HERE link I can see the URL does not even go to an Amazon account. It goes to some site in the Netherlands. The other two links however do go to Amazon. In addition the e-mail is not addressed to me.
To help you protect yourself from phishing, we offer the following tips:
- LEARN TO IDENTIFY SUSPECTED PHISHING TRICKS
- There are some qualities that identify an attack through an email:
- They duplicate the image of a real company.
- Copy the name of a company or an actual employee of the company.
- Include sites that are visually similar to a real business.
- The URL in the e-mail does not go back to the business
- Promote gifts, or the loss of an existing account.
- Come from unrecognized senders.
- The message isn’t personalized
- Try to upset you into acting quickly by threatening you with frightening information
- TRUST BUT VERIFY
- Do not click on links, download files or open attachments in emails from unknown senders. It is best to open attachments only when you are expecting them and know what they contain, even if you know the sender.
- Good hackers can use e-mails addresses from your address both to trick you into thinking it is from a friend or relative.
- Go directly to that companies web site by typing in the URL, and check to see what is going on , if anything.
- CHECK THE SOURCE OF INFORMATION FROM INCOMING MAIL
- Your bank will never ask you to send your passwords or personal information by mail. Never respond to these questions, and if you have the slightest doubt, call your bank directly for clarification.
- NEVER GO TO YOUR BANK’S WEBSITE BY CLICKING ON LINKS INCLUDED IN EMAILS
- Do not click on hyperlinks or links attached in the email, as it might direct you to a fraudulent website.
- Communicate personal information only via phone or secure web sites (https)
- Also, beware of phone phishing schemes. Do not divulge personal information over the phone unless you initiate the call. Be cautious of emails that ask you to call a phone number to update your account information as well.
- Type in the URL directly into your browser or use bookmarks / favorites if you want to go faster.
- BEWARE OF POP-UP BOXES
- Never enter personal information in a pop-up screen
- Do not click on links in a pop-up screen
- Do not copy web addresses into your browser from pop-ups
- ENHANCE THE SECURITY OF YOUR COMPUTER
- Common sense and good judgment is as vital as keeping your computer protected with a good antivirus to block this type of attack.
- In addition, you should always have the most recent update on your operating system and web browsers.
- ENTER YOUR SENSITIVE DATA IN SECURE WEBSITES ONLY
- Legitimate enterprises should never ask you to submit personal information in pop-up screens, so don’t do it
- In order for a site to be ‘safe’, it must begin with ‘https://’ and your browser should show an icon of a closed lock.
- PERIODICALLY CHECK YOUR ACCOUNTS
- It never hurts to check your bank accounts periodically to be aware of any irregularities in your online transactions.
- PHISHING DOESN’T ONLY PERTAIN TO ONLINE BANKING
- Most phishing attacks are against banks, but can also use any popular website to steal personal data such as eBay, Facebook, PayPal, etc.
- PHISHING KNOWS ALL LANGUAGES
- Phishing knows no boundaries, and can reach you in any language. In general, they’re poorly written or translated, so this may be another indicator that something is wrong.
- If you never you go to the Spanish website of your bank, why should your statements now be in this language?
- HAVE THE SLIGHTEST DOUBT, DO NOT RISK IT.
- The best way to prevent phishing is to consistently reject any email or news that asks you to provide confidential data.
- Delete these emails and call your bank to clarify any doubts.
- CHECK THIS BLOG FREQUENTLY TO READ ABOUT THE EVOLUTION OF MALWARE
PepperEyes.com simply exists to provide you a large selection of quality self-defense and life safety solutions such as pepper sprays, stun guns and other high quality self-defense products, and survival kit products for home owners, business, schools, college students, and government agencies, or anyone who is seeking to defend themselves or property against potential criminal and natural threats. As concerned citizens and homeowners, we know that you are concerned about the increasing crime rate and see the need to provide yourself with self-protection by non-lethal means, if possible. Therefore, our team is dedicated to providing you with the best self-defense products and the latest security information: best as in quality, price, and service. Our mission is to provide only the high quality self-protection products, and service to our customers like you, and well as FREE information about how to protect yourself, your home or your place of business, your children, your car and other valuables. We are not going to overwhelm you by the quantity of products we offer. Instead, our expert protection product research personnel carefully select products from US distributors which we believe are the excellent in quality, reliability and affordable price. When it comes to you and your loved ones, protection is priceless, but should not be price prohibited. We currently have a 98% satisfaction rating among the customers who have provided us feedback, but have completely resolved all issues to our customers’ satisfaction. In the event of an emergency you need the supplies and a plan. We can help you with that.