As part of our ongoing series during Sexual Assault Awareness Month, we are providing you with additional options other than having pepper spray. One of the other tools that we recommend for your self –defense arsenal is a good self-defense class. Last week, we introduced you to KRAV MAGA. This week we want to introduce you to another self-defense course to called Rape Aggression Defense System. The RAD system in primarily taught to college students who are in a key college statistic for sexual assault.
- College statistics show one in four college women surveyed are victims of rape or attempted rape.
- 85% of rapes on campus are acquaintance rapes.
- One in six female college students reported having been a victim of rape or attempted rape during the preceding year
The Rape Aggression Defense System is a program of realistic self-defense tactics and techniques designed for women. The R.A.D. System is a comprehensive, women-only course that begins with awareness, prevention, risk reduction and risk avoidance, while progressing on to the basics of hands-on defense training. R.A.D. is not a Martial Arts program. The courses are taught by nationally certified R.A.D. Instructors and provide each student with a work book/reference manual. The manual provided outlines the entire Physical Defense Program for reference and continuous personal growth, and is the key to our free lifetime return and practice policy for R.A.D. graduates. The R.A.D Systems of Physical Defense is currently being taught at many leading Colleges and Universities. If you are not sure if it is being provided at the college you’re attending or interested in please contact your campus safety office.
About the Class
The RAD class is taught over a period of 12 hours broken down into 4 sessions, of 3 hours each. The first class is an overview and discussion on risk reduction and prevention utilizing the R.A.D. student manual. The next two classes consist of learning and practicing, practicing, practicing hands-on physical defense moves. The final class is a simulation of an attack and different “simulated assault. This is the class where everything the student learns comes together.
The students must attend all four classes to complete the course. Simulation is strictly voluntary and the students can still complete the class if they choose not to volunteer; but they must be present. The vast majority of women who perform the simulation leave with a feeling of empowerment.
Two Great Benefits
Once a student has graduated from the class, she becomes a lifetime member, with two great benefits. Once completing the class, the student/alumni can go anywhere in the United States and Canada where RAD is offered and attend a class for free, providing that there is room in the class. They can attend the entire course or just a simulation to brush up on their techniques. The second benefit is that they are armed with the knowledge and skills to help them be safe.
- R.A.D. is the largest network of its kind with thousands Instructors receiving training in our systems to date. These Instructors teach at various colleges, universities, and municipal law enforcement agencies as well as various other community organizations internationally. R.A.D. has trained more than 300,000 women since the program began in 1989.
- R.A.D. has developed specialized simulation techniques and equipment for use by certified R.A.D. instructors.
- R.A.D. is the only self-defense program ever endorsed by the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators (IACLEA).
For additional information about RAD and locations where it is taught check out their site at: http://www.rad-systems.com/
Other Related Articles
PepperEyes.com is dedicated to providing you with the best and most affordable personal protection products on the market to meet the security needs of you, your family members or your business, by assisting anyone who is unwilling to become a victim of crime. If you want to take personal responsibility for yourself, your home or your business, buy our high quality discount personal protection products and arm yourself with the knowledge of the best way to stay secure in an ever-increasing violent world. In today’s society being equipped mentally and physically is no longer an option. – Victor Swindell