In our continuing discussion on factors to consider when selecting pepper spray, effectiveness in the spray pattern and dispersal concentration is one of the factors to consider. These two elements closely related spray characteristics determine the pepper spray droplet that will hit your assailant. Smaller pepper spray droplets are more effective under most conditions as they can be inhaled quickly and completely and disperse into the target’s membrane tissue. This will allow the pepper spray droplets to effectively release its effects of heat and inflammation agents as efficiently as possible in the shortest time possible.
The Three OC Spray Patterns
OC Pepper spray usually come in three spray patterns
- Has a general range (12-15 feet)
- Not easily effected by breezes and winds-easier to hit your target
- A good stream shot in the eyes of your attacker will like stop your attacker
- Takes longer than mist to become active.
- Have wider spray pattern and finer droplets than stream.
- Considered to have “instant” stopping
- Creates a pepper spray barrier
- Works better that stream on multiple attackers
- Has a general a range of 8 to 10 feet.
- A mild breeze can affect your ability to hit your target, and may come back on the sprayer.
- Once you spray to hit your target, move away.
- Puts out a super fine mist like a fire extinguisher
- Considered to be the most effective in terms of stopping power, if your assailant is caught in the fog.
- Have a range of 15 to 20 feet.
- Are slightly affected by a breeze.
- Fog tend to hang in the air creating a nice barrier.
Things to consider when spraying your attacker
Fan your pepper spray. Fanning is a pepper spray technique for hitting your mark. You spray the pepper spray stream then move your dispersion path from side to side until yon hit your mark! The stream also provides the heaviest blast of pepper (cans will empty faster).
Pepper spray should be directed at the assailants face at close range (range of the pepper spray) either in a stream, spray or mist and never sprayed wildly at a crowd. The technique to using is simple – keep following the head and keep spraying.
Practice Make Perfect.
In the United States, a violent crime occurs every 19 seconds, an assault every 29 seconds, and a sexual assault every 2 minutes. Yet you may be lulled into sense of security thinking you it won’t happen to you. Some people are in a false sense of complacency even after they purchase a protection product, such as a stun guns or pepper sprays. On the contrary having a non-lethal personal protection product is only the first step towards protecting yourself. The second step is to be knowledgeable of the product. PRACTICE – you can mentally rehearse what you will do in case of an emergency. However, thinking about it is OK, but physically practicing is much better. You don’t learn martial arts by just reading a book, or thinking about it, you much practice to be proficient.
Having a personal protection product and not knowing how to use it can damage you as easily as it can hurt your assailant. Imagine, grabbing your pepper spray and then accidentally spraying yourself; it would be a disaster. Once you have chosen a personal protection product, ask for proper instructions on how to use it, or take a course in using the products properly. Then PRACTICE using it until it becomes second nature.
PRACTICE, when purchase pepper spray, consider purchasing two. Practice and become familiar with how to it works and how far it shoots, so that when the time comes you are familiar with how to use it.
PepperEyes.com is dedicated to providing you with the best and most affordable personal protection products on the market to meet the security needs of you, your family members or your business, by assisting anyone who is unwilling to become a victim of crime. If you want to take personal responsibility for yourself, your home or your business, purchase our high quality discount personal protection products and arm yourself with the knowledge of the best way to stay secure in an ever-increasing violent world. In today’s society being equipped mentally and physically is no longer an option.